Mewing is relatively a new concept. Though sufficient amount of research has been carried out, one cannot really claim about the effectiveness. Prof. John & Mike Mew have shared scientific analysis on why mewing transformation takes place, if you want to learn the science behind it then you can follow their channel called Orthotropics on YouTube or you can read it here: Mewing & Orthotropy
Mewing though it sounds interesting and easy is often made difficult. Newbies with improper information end up hurting their jaws and their facial structure due to mewing mistakes. Mewing is effortless. It doesn’t require you to feel pain or force your teeth into an unnatural position. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned how there are two types of mewing apart from hard & soft mewing – these are the mewing postures. However, one of them is incorrect and as soon as I learned more, I edited the blog to ensure the credible information flows through our website.
In that post, I mentioned two types of tongue postures:
- Resting your tongue against the roof of your mouth
- Rolling the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth
Can you guess which one is incorrect? Yep, the second one. “Rolling the top of your tongue against the roof of your mouth” is a faulty tongue posture. Most of the newbies do it without even realizing the terrible damage that it can cost to your facial structure.
If you’re new to mewing, you might as well want to learn the basics about it through our Mewing 101 blog. Since in this blog, we’re directly discussing the mewing mistakes. Thank you!
Terrible effects of mewing mistakes – Improper tongue posture!
- Bigger Buccinators: A buccinator is a thin muscle that occupies the space between maxilla and mandible. Buccinators, located at the side of the face is an integral part of the cheek. Improper Mewing can cause detrimental effect to the buccinators on either side and grow in size leading to breathing, swallowing & jaw problems
- Weaker Submental Area: While mewing as a tongue posture aims at strengthening the facial structure, improper tongue posture can affect the fascial space of the head and the neck. Instead of strengthening the structure, it can make it weak
- Dark Circles: If the posture to keep support your skull isn’t correct, it’s quite likely that your face will be affected. Growing dark circles have been reported by several mewers after they started mewing. Upon their analysis and study, they realized that it was the mewing mistakes that had led to this problem.
- Painful Jaw: While improper mewing posture and mewing mistakes are often accredited to tongue posture, people often overlook the importance of teeth placement. The goal of mewing is not to keep your front teeth clenched but instead each end to rest upon one another. Mewers often apply too much pressure on the teeth or clench too hard which leads to a painful jaw.
- Detrimental Growth: You started mewing because of the benefits or perhaps a jawline. However, mewing mistakes can deteriorate your current facial structure. Improper tongue posture and pressure exertion can hinder the natural growth and can prove to be detrimental.
Mewing is the correct posture
Mewing is natural, it’s not forceful. By forceful, I mean applying undue pressure on the teeth or the roof of your mouth. While Maxilla and Mandible can improve the structure, you should not go overboard in achieving the result. Mewing should feel natural and it’s not hard.
All you need to do is to stick your tongue to the roof of your mouth and rest your upper set of teeth against the lower ones. DO NOT CLENCH YOUR TEETH! Mewing mistakes wouldn’t just lead to no result but also cause problems within the existing structure.
Mewing requires practice
While mewing is natural, it does require practice. By natural, I’m referring to the proper tongue posture, that is exactly how the posture needs to be. So if you do not have the right posture, change it today. It can take up to days, weeks, and even months to master the posture, but once you do, you will feel the difference.
If you practice it for three weeks straight, you’ll probably develop a subconscious tongue posture which is exactly what we are aiming for. You won’t obtain a correct tongue posture overnight, you’ll need to keep reminding yourself just like your physical workouts. Do not feel frustrated if it takes time, remember, subconscious habit is what we’re looking to develop here.
Can’t Sleep because of Mewing
Well.. Mark, we don’t have control over our tongue when we fall asleep, what do we do then? You don’t have to. Don’t stress hard. If you keep practicing, your tongue will naturally rest in the position. Remember, the tip of your tongue should NOT rest on the incisors rather the spot behind which should be touched by the back of your tongue all the forward (NOT THE TIP).
Proper Vs Improper Tongue Posture
Proper Tongue Posture: Correct tongue posture doesn’t ask you to roll your tongue to touch the tip to the spot. The middle or front portion of the tongue is responsible for hitting the spot. What does this imply?
- The tip can rest further ahead and not against the incisors
- The middle part of the tongue doesn’t have to be forced forward
- The posterior of the tongue should be rest towards the roof of your mouth without blocking the airway
- Placing your teeth on one other without exerting too much pressure
- Front teeth resting normally with an overbite less than 3 mm
Improper Tongue Posture: Improper tongue posture is an integral part of mewing mistakes committed by mewers. As I have hinted in the passage above:
- Clenching your teeth
- Rolling the tongue
- Touching the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth
- Applying too much pressure
- Placing your teeth on top of each other.
Benefits of correcting mewing mistakes
You will no longer be frustrated with mewing. You’ll love it and you will develop a habit in no time. Positive changes will occur and you will feel the change on its own. You’ll have a better face structure and stronger framework unlike right now where your head is leaning forward and you’re breathing through mouth mostly.
On top of proper mewing, it’s essential that you take care of your body. If you don’t get rid of the fat, you’re highly unlikely to witness any kind of progress. Thus, it’s important that you bring down the fat percentage between 10%-15% so you can actually see the visual differences. That’s just an additional suggestion, I’d like to make. Mewing is great but it can’t transform your entire face if you’re not willing to work on your body and facial muscles.
Lastly, always remember, nasal breathing is a crucial part of mewing and keeping healthy. If you adopt nasal breathing, half your breathing-related problems will go away within a certain time. Furthermore, you will get a better posture, perhaps a jawline, and overall good health.
Chisell – A Product To Train Your Jaw and Look Better
Learn more about Chisell: Chisell.com
This was our coverage of the topic Mewing Mistakes. Feel free to drop your opinions in the comment section below. Till then keep mewing and avoid these mewing mistakes – primarily improper tongue posture.
A HEART MEWING GIVEAWAY
Enhance your knowledge about mewing by simply choosing the topics below: