Mewing is relatively a new concept. Though sufficient amount of research has been carried out, one cannot really claim about the effectiveness. Prof. John & Mike Mew have shared scientific analysis on why mewing transformation takes place, if you want to learn the science behind it then you can follow their channel called Orthotropics on YouTube or you can read it here: Mewing & Orthotropy
Mewing is no longer just a phenomenon. It has become a lifestyle. Since the last year or so, the mewing community has been growing at a fascinating rate. An increasing number of people especially teens and young adults are engaging in conversations and discovering this beautiful DIY technique, which helps improve your overall facial structure. The wave is not a hoax but rather a reality. In recent times, we have had numerous mewers pose questions about mewing with braces.
Is mewing with braces advisable? Before we jump directly to the conclusion, let’s understand about braces.
There isn’t a single type of braces, personally, I know about three, to be precise:
- Metal Braces: Is there a stereotypical image forming in your head? Yes, that’s exactly what metal braces are. These braces are aligned/bracketed to each individual tooth and come in two sets – one for the upper and second for the lower teeth. When you hear braces, these are the ones you think about.
- Lingual Braces: You’re evil if Harry Kane comes to your mind after reading this. Lingual braces are fixed with the intention of improving speech ability or what we commonly know as the problem of speech impediment. These are fixed to the front or the back of the teeth, mostly to the back, as per a dentist’s or orthodontist’s discretion.
- Invisalign: As opposed to metal braces, Invisalign are plastic aligners that offer you more freedom with regards to taking off or putting on braces. Usually, these are a set of 20-30 aligners that are replaced every two weeks or so. These are widely popular in today’s time due to their invisibility, which makes people with braces more confident.
Does mewing with braces really work?
If you go by our opinion, there’s nothing that should stop you from practicing the correct tongue posture. This involves maintaining the posture when resting or swallowing. However, Dr. Mike Mew once stated that palatal expansion cannot happen quickly with braces on. Why? Because the braces prevent palate expansion or widening. His statement, however, doesn’t suggest a quick no, but rather Mewing with braces a time-consuming act. As per his opinion, with proper Orthotropy you can achieve far better results. Furthermore, it’s easier to mew and achieve results just like these people without the braces on.
Should you listen to your dentist when mewing with braces?
Definitely. Your treatment plan prescribes the course of action. Some of the dentists tend to retract the teeth towards the airway with the help of braces. In such a scenario, if you mew, you might end up creating an opposing force that won’t be good for your dental health. Thus, follow what your dentist says and consult him before getting started.
Are retractive braces a problem? No. They aren’t bad at all. The effort here is to prevent dental crowding by decreasing the size of the arch. However, it’s crucial to let these arches develop to their full potential before you start mewing. This practice can help you overcome your initial problem first rather than coinciding and creating further trouble for your dental health.
Having learned about the braces and its relationship with mewing, let us move towards the main point – mewing with braces.
Mewing with Braces
- Metal Braces: Is mewing with braces possible? Yes and No. You can try it yourself. Lift your tongue and try touching it to the roof of your mouth i.e. the palate. If you can do so without your braces interfering in between, you can continue mewing without any problem. Furthermore, if you’re new to the subject of mewing, feel free to check our all-inclusive mewing guide to get started.
- Lingual Braces: Perhaps, the only type of braces which can create a problem is lingual braces. Not that mewing with braces is impossible when you have lingual braces on, it’s just that it becomes more difficult. Herein, the braces act as a barrier when you try to touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth.
- Invisalign Braces: Invisalign braces shouldn’t create any problem. Similar to the metal braces, Invisalign braces do not interfere when you hold your tongue against your palate. You can try it yourself. Try to touch your tongue to your palate, if you don’t find any issue, then you’re good to go.
Our opinion on mewing with braces?
Ask your orthodontist. It’s crucial to know whether your teeth are being pulled inwards or pushed outwards. If braces are helping to push your teeth outwards, then you can still mew. However, with retractive braces, you should really consult your dentist/orthodontist.
According to Mewing Lifestyle, “Retractive braces pull the teeth backward. This is made to create more space for crowded teeth. Mewing does the opposite. Mewing pushes your teeth forward by expanding your palate. So if you would mew while having these kinds of braces, it would constantly push and pull your teeth into different directions. This is not healthy at all. It makes your teeth and the gum around wobbly.”
Chisell – A Product To Train Your Jaw and Look Better
Buy Chisell Here: Chisell.com
For the past couple of months, a lot of people have asked me on Instagram and Facebook whether Chisell is worth the money? It’s too expensive. Well, I’d simply say that if you can spend or even think about thousands of dollars on procedures such as facelift, plastic surgery, and chin augmentation, why not $25? It won’t have a negative impact on your facial structure in the short-run or long-run. It’ll help you to work your masseters without causing any harm.
It’s better to finish off your appliance treatment before you get started with mewing. You don’t want to get overwhelmed with everything on hand. Once you do get your appliance out, you can simply avoid retainers and start mewing right away.
A HEART MEWING GIVEAWAY
Enhance your knowledge about mewing by simply choosing the topics below: